Hot dance with Inna

“Elena Alexandra Apostoleanu (born October 16, 1986) best known only as Inna, is a Romanian dance singer from Mangalia, Romania. She debuted in 2008 with the album “Hot”, produced by Play & Win. The main single from the album, the eponymous “Hot”, reached number one in Romania, Moldova, Bulgaria, Lebanon, Malta, Poland, Spain, Syria, Turkey, Russia, Hungary, Greece and Ukraine. The second single promoted from the album, “Love”, reached number 16 in Kiss FM’s Fresh Top 40 in its debut week. She was nominated for best singer and best single at the Eska Awards in Poland. Inna also released a single titled “Deja Vu”, in collaboration with Bob Taylor (aka Fizz), that was a major hit in Romania, Moldova, Bulgaria, Russia, The Netherlands and Hungary.” (source: mighty wikipedia)

I have little tangence with the Romanian, European, World, Galactic and Universal dance music scene. However, if anyone of you reading this do, you probably knew her before me, and will enjoy the video below.

Video source – Dan Negru’s.

14 responses to “Hot dance with Inna

1. Oana May 3, 2010 at 00:41

I’ve seen a lot of people interested in her, but still I don’t get why she is so popular. I mean, her English is basic, the lyrics are grammatically wrong and make no sense, and her voice isn’t that great either, let alone the music videos.
    Really, the Romanian music scene isn’t what it used to be. Now you only see these twenty-somethings popping out and singing something for the money.
    What do you think?

2. explorish May 3, 2010 at 00:53

what makes you think that the wide audience has a refined taste for all those things you mentioned? you may be right about each, but the combination can still have a certain alchemy that works – and no one can ever tell what it is, or else one would replicate it to infinity. i mean, did you expect o-zone’s maiahiii to make millions and top charts around the world to no end? i didn’t. In hindsight of course you can say “they had good rhythm and a tune people could sing along with, but so did/do others who didn’t make it to the top.

to me inna sounds indistinguishable from other pop/dance songs from abroad, which is rather rare with romanian songs in english, and a good omen, i would say. basic competitive quality requirements being met, i guess her agents/promoters did a good job squeezing her into radios abroad, and with a little bit of luck – there you go. good luck to her!

when you say the romanian scene isn’t “what it used to be”, what are you referring to?

3. Oana May 3, 2010 at 16:25

I mean the older bands or singers. Those that are now between 30-50, or the ones whose musical careers go back to the 90’s or the early 2000s. And especially, the ones who are singing in Romanian. That’s what I would call Romanian music. Singing in English while representing Romania abroad seems plain fake to me.

I can’t argue against what you said about some of them having that something, just like o-zone’s song had, but most of them don’t. The fact that Inna’s songs are indistinguishable from others from abroad doesn’t strike me as being a good thing, not even for her. If she is indistinguishable, what makes her any different from others? And if there already are tons of other songs like hers, what’s the point of making more?

It may be just me, but I really think that the only beneficiary of all this is her and her agents, those receiving the money. And maybe the masses. But those people who care about the things I mentioned, which seem pretty important to me, are getting more and more bored of hearing the same thing over and over each day.

4. explorish May 7, 2010 at 21:20

Can you give some examples of musicians you mean? Just curious. I keep wondering why none of them (NONE of the ones from the generation you are talking about) had any success abroad. Some of them seem really good to me. Is it just money and marketing? I’m not sure how much marketing O-Zone put behind their silly “dragostea dintâi” at the beginning. AND it’s in Romanian, so the “English” argument for success doesn’t hold. Maybe the others were slightly behind their times in terms of style (we used to be behind the West with a few years, in everything), whereas O-zone and Inna managed to be spot on the trend, and got promoted.
    Or maybe they had an extra spoon of sheer luck :).

Back to the English argument, do you think Scorpions represent Germany? Should Germans renegade them because they sing in English?

You’re saying “only (…) the masses” are beneficiaries of Inna’s success. I say that’s no small thing. It’s good for the Romanian music industry, and for our image abroad. It’s not like we have a flood of things to be talked (positively) about.

5. Oana May 20, 2010 at 16:26

I don’t know, there are some of them which I really like. For example, my favourite Romanian band is Holograf.I also like bands like Voltaj or Iris, even if some of them go back to the early 90s or even 80s. I don’t listen too much to Romanian music,since I’m a bit on the Asian side, but neither do I listen to the American mainstream music that almost everybody else does. And if I had to choose, I’d spend one afternoon watching one of their concerts.

What I really appreciate at them is that they concentrate on producing music, not money. And even if they wanted money, because you can’t do much for free, they gave us at least some good music in exchange.I can’t say the same thing about Inna or these other new singers.

Regarding the ‘English argument’, I wasn’t saying that success can be obtained if the things I mentioned(like using a wider range of vocabulary, or at least using correctly the words you know) are met only in English. I think the same thing applies for every language. I mean, apart from the illiterate people and the gypsies, who else listens to ‘manele’?
    Most of them are grammatically wrong and have plain stupid topics.

About Scorpions, I think you would agree with me when I say that they are infinitely better than Inna. Just the thought of comparing them seems strange to me. I realy can’t imagine her 20 years from now being as famous worldwide as the Scorpions while singing ‘ shake, shake, shake your body’. And I think they’re doing a great job representing their country, even if they sing in English. They show us what great values Germany can have. But do you sincerely think that Inna promotes a very good image of Romania? I can’t say she’s extremely talented for an internationally known singer. And marketing also plays an important role in all this.I mean, if the people are made to listen to a song at least 2 or 3 times a day, they’ll eventually get used to it and some of them will even like it, in the lack of something else.

And yes, we as Romanian don’t have that many things to boast about, but even so, we shouldn’t resort to promoting that kind of music/singers just to attract attention. I would have nothing against Inna being a popular singer, being known worldwide AND representing Romania, if she, at least, produced some good music that will still be known to people ten years from now. Not just being some commecial product.

6. Andreea May 31, 2010 at 20:45

Ce haios!! Mie imi place cantecul asta foarte mult si chiar ma intrebam de unde este respectiva! Sunt fericita ca e din Romania!! 🙂

7. natalia June 21, 2010 at 23:37

my best song and my best singer ever ❤

8. Aurora June 22, 2010 at 03:28

To Oana: We’re two now, my favourite Romanian band is Holograf too ❤
    But well that is "up to now" of course. I do not listen to much Romanian music either, plus it is hard to get to know bands of countries that produce non-mainstream stuff.

9. explorish June 22, 2010 at 11:08

@Oana: fair enough – I didn’t compare Inna to Scorpions in that way, was just talking about musicians singing in English vs. their mother tongue. Of course she can’t be compared to Scorpions and the like (yet :D), but I don’t think that was the idea anyway. The idea was to be successful in a certain niche to a certain audience, competing with similar “value propositions” from around the world – and she’s doing alright from that perspective if you ask me. Whether we like the style or not – that’s a different matter, of taste, and should not be disputed :).

@Andreea: 😀

@Aurora: for a starter on Romanian music, have a look at this: https://allromaniansarevampires.com/goodies/. Let us know if you like any of it, and you’ll get some more 🙂

10. Aurora June 22, 2010 at 16:04

Thank you for the links! I’ll take a look at them ❤

11. john__lemon July 13, 2010 at 04:10

for @oana: who cares her english is basic? are you tired from too much working or is it genetically? inna is in for the music.

12. Oana October 10, 2010 at 15:10

@dear john_lemon:
    If her English was at least basic, I wouldn’t have had the tiniest problem. But she barely crawls up to that basic level. And since you can’t say that wrong use of a language makes good lyrics, all that’s left to discuss about is the music, as you call it (without the lyrics).
    As it has been previously stated, Inna has neither a good voice or extraordinarily original songs. All of her songs sound approximately the same and, furthermore, they sound the same as the mainstream American music.
    What arguments can you bring up in saying that what Inna does is ‘music’?
    As an aside, are you defending her basic level of English because it resembles yours? ‘Genetically’ is an adverb.

13. Diana April 28, 2013 at 22:15

Oh, man!i am so tired of this girl and her “music”!i don’t understand why people today stopped listen to real music.those who contain lyrics that should send a message and make you feel some emotions, you know, songs that bring you to tears and songs that you can relate to!now they make all the music ina studio on a computer…i’m 16 but i wish i was born 40 years earilier

14. explorish May 19, 2013 at 00:31

born 40 years earlier, you’d be 56 now and wishing you were 16 🙂
    on Inna, here‘s an article (in Romanian, can be found in English here) on how her “brand” was “constructed”. It starts like this: “Inna has nothing special”. But…